I was playing around the internet this weekend and ran across and interesting website, www.thejaywalker.com. I found this on it and thought I would share it with you. I call them my P.A.G.G.L.E.S.
These considerations were taken from pages 48, 49, 66 & 67 of the Twelve and Twelve The bold type presents definitions from Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary.
PRIDE: An over high opinion of oneself; exaggerated self-esteem; conceit, arrogance, vanity, self-satisfaction.
- Have I been so proud that I’ve been scorned (disrespected) as a braggart (bragger)?
- Have I acted prideful, consciously or unconsciously out of fear?
- Have I used pride to justify my excesses in my sex conduct?
- Do I like to feel and act superior to others?
ANGER: A strong feeling excited by a real or supposed injury; often accompanied by a desire to take vengeance, or to obtain satisfaction from the offending party; resentment; wrath.
- Have I been angry enough to murder?
- Do I get angry out of fear when my instinctive demands are threatened?
- Have I enjoyed self-righteous anger in the fact that many people annoy me and that makes me superior to them?
- Have I enjoyed gossiping as a polite form of murder by character assassination?
GREED: Excessive desire for acquiring or having; desire for more than one needs or deserves.
- Have I been so greedy that I’ve been or could be labeled a thief?
- Do I long for the possessions of others out of fear of not getting enough?
- Do I let greed masquerade as ambition?
GLUTTONY: One who eats too much. One with a great capacity for something; as, a glutton for work.
- Have I been gluttonous enough to ruin my health?
- Do I grab for everything I can, fearing I’ll never have enough?
- Do I bury myself in my work, hobbies or activities?
LUST: To feel an intense desire, especially sexual desire; too long: after or for.
- Have I been lustful enough to rape, if not physically what about in my mind?
- Do I fear I will never have the sex relations I need?
- Do I have sex excursions that have been dressed up in dreams or delusions of romance?
ENVY: To resent another for excellence or superiority in any way, and to be desirous of acquiring it.
- Do I agonize over the chronic (persistent or recurring) pain of envy?
- Does seeing the ambitions of others materialize make me fear that mine haven’t?
- Do I suffer from never being satisfied with what I have?
- Have I spent more time wishing for what others have than working towards them?
SLOTH: Disinclination to action or labor; sluggishness; habitual indolence; laziness, idleness; slowness; delay.
- Have I been paralyzed by sloth?
- Do I get alarmed with fear at the prospect of work?
- Do I work hard with no better motive than to be secure and slothful later on?
- Do I loaf and procrastinate?
- Do I work grudgingly and under half steam?